Karyn Jensen has worked in Human Resources for over 20 years. Karyn has been certified as a SPHR since 1999 as well as SHRM-SCP certified since 2015. She holds a Master of Science degree in Human Resources from Chapman University in Orange, CA. Her specialties include management training, recruitment and placement, employee relations and legal compliance. Prior to founding HRC in 2004, she worked in Human Resources at Fitzgerald’s Casino/Hotel, Jensen Precast and IGT.
Currently, Karyn is the Professional Development Chair and past President for the Northern Nevada Human Resource Association (NNHRA) and a member of the Society for Human Resource Management. She serves on the Executive Board for Crisis Support Services of Nevada, in addition to being a volunteer for ESGR (Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve). Karyn also serves on the Executive Board for Western Industrial Nevada (WIN)
Karyn was a volunteer for the Junior League of Reno for over 12 years and held the position of Community Vice President in 2004-2005. In addition, she was the 2010 HR Super Star Excellence Award Recipient from Northern Nevada Human Resources Association and the 2010 Professional Saleswoman of the Year from Professional Saleswoman of Nevada. She was also an instructor, facilitator and program developer for University of Nevada, Reno Extended Studies beginning in 1991, and is currently pursuing training and speaking opportunities which incorporate her vast knowledge of human resources, leadership and more.
Empowering Your Voice: Mastering the Art of Public Speaking - Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 3:40 PM
In this session, participants will walk away with strategies on how to prepare for and present at meetings (internal and external). This workshop will provide you with new tricks and a review of the old tricks to allow you to perform as an amazing public speaker, whether it is at a board meeting, an internal departmental meeting, or a presentation/training. You will come away with the following:
• Define the key steps in preparing for a public speaking event:
• Creating a solid agenda/presentation (don’t forget icebreakers!)
• Designing your presentation and handouts
• Building good content – including storytelling and a memorable message for closing
• Managing your nerves, body movement, and voice inflection
• How to handle a presentation on video conference. How is it different?
• Overcoming obstacles (time, attention, questions, distractions, participation)
• Preparation and rehearsing – how much is enough? Strategies on ensuring you know your stuff!
• What to do when you arrive – set up and logistics
• Post meeting – ask for feedback!